March 3, 2011
Women's Tennis Rolls Past Newberry
NEWBERRY, SC -- Catawba claimed an 8-1 win over host Newberry in South Atlantic Conference women's tennis action on Thursday afternoon at Cannon Courts. The Catawba Indians improve to 8-7 overall and 1-1 in the SAC, while the Wolves fall to 2-8 and 0-2.
Catawba jumped out of the gate and swept the three doubles matches for an early lead. The ladies went on to add five singles wins. Kasia Zielinski (Erie, PA/Collegiate Academy) claimed wins at both #1 singles and #1 doubles. Maggie McKee (Mt. Airy, NC/Mt. Airy HS) Steffi Cook (Alpharetta, GA/Milton HS), Ally Prior (Raleigh, NC/Wakefield HS) and Hannah Kovach (Salisbury, NC/E. Rowan HS) also claimed wins in both singles and doubles for Catawba.
Catawba 8, Newberry 1
1. Kasia Zielinski (C) d. Marina Ziehe 6-2, 6-2
2. Amanda Simmons (N) d. Nicole Boyle 7-5, 5-7, 12-10
3. Maggie McKee (C) d. Shannon McManus 6-3, 6-0
4. Steffi Cook (C) d. Stephanie Matthews 6-1, 6-0
5. Ally Prior (C) d. Lindsay Kyzer 6-0, 6-0
6. Hannah Kovach (C) d. Sierra Hoover 6-0, 6-1
1. Zielinski/Boyle (C) d. Ziehe/Simmons 8-3
2. Cook/Prior (C) d. McManus/Kyzer 8-0
3. McKee/Kovach (C) d. Matthews/Hoover 8-3
RECORDS: Catawba 8-7, 1-1 SAC; Newberry 2-8, 0-2 SAC
|No events are scheduled today|