February 22, 2012
Tennis Swept by Anderson in SAC Opener
SALISBURY, NC -- The Catawba women fell 8-1 and the men 9-0 to the visiting Anderson Trojans Wednesday evening at the Johnson Tennis Center in the first South Atlantic Conference match of the season for both teams. The men fall to 6-3 overall and 0-1 in the SAC while the women drop to 5-4 and 0-1.
The women were quickly down 3-0 after doubles play. Freshman Sloan Kessler (Onalaska, WI/La Crosse Aquinas HS) was the lone winner of the day at #1 singles for the Lady Indians as she triumphed over Anderson’s Camie Beaulieu-Brune. Kessler won the first set 6-4 as her opponent had to retire before the second set.
Steffi Cook (Alpharetta, GA/Milton HS) played the Lady Trojan’s Shelby Anderson a tough match at #4, but eventually fell 6-3, 7-5.
On the men’s side Jess Goodall (Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA/Northcliff HS) and Pierce Hoover (Durham, NC/N. Durham HS) each took his opposition to three sets before bowing out. Goodall at #3 singles won the first set 6-2, then dropped the next two 7-6 and 11-9 against Krystof Gulbinovic. Hoover at #4 lost the first 7-5, won the second 6-4 and fell behind 11-9 in the third to Loic Ambroise.
Both #1 and #2 doubles dropped 8-5 decisions and #3 fell 8-4.
Catawba continues SAC play Saturday, Feb. 25 at the Johnson Tennis Center against Lincoln Memorial University at11:00 a.m.
1. Stan Atema (AU-M) def. Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) 6-3, 6-2
2. Deni Mehagic (AU-M) def. Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) 6-2, 6-4
3. Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) 6-2, 6-7, 11-9
4. Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Pierce Hoover (CATAWBA) 5-7, 6-4, 11-9
5. Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) 7-5, 6-2
6. Trey Halbauer (AU-M) def. Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) 6-2, 6-1
1. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AU-M) def. Thomas Mitchell/Pierce Hoover (CATAWBA) 8-5
2. Deni Mehagic/Krystof Gulbinovic (AU-M) def. Matthew Nicholson/Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) 8-5
3. Trey Halbauer/Loic Ambroise (AU-M) def. Uri Yarkoni/Corey Eldridge (CATAWBA) 8-4
|No events scheduled until August 24|