March 4, 2012
Men are Victorious, Women Fall in First Day of Hilton Head Action
HILTON HEAD, SC -- The Catawba Indian men defeated Roanoke College 8-0 Sunday afternoon in Hilton Head as the Lady Indians were shutout by Ashland University 9-0. The men improve to 8-4 overall while the women drop to 5-7.
In singles action, all seeds won in straight sets, except for at #5 which was not played. Number #1 Thomas Mitchell (Nanaimo, BC, CANADA/Pendleton School) had the closest match winning 6-3, 6-2 over James Lee.
All three doubles teams won with #3 Corey Eldridge (Sewell,NJ/Washington Township HS) and Jess Goodall (Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA/Northcliff HS) edging Charlie Graves and Ian Webster Roanoke 8-5.
For the women, #6 singles Hannah Kovach (Salisbury, NC/E. Rowan HS) won the most games in her 6-3, 6-4 loss to Sally Trout of Ashland.
In doubles competition Steffi Cook (Alpharetta, GA/Milton HS) and Ally Prior (Raleigh, NC/Wakefield HS) battled but came up short 8-4 to Zdenka Pozo and Erika Sullivan.
On Monday both teams compete with St. John Fisher College while the men also tangle with Northern Kentucky.
1. Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) def. James Lee (RCM) 6-3, 6-2
2. Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) def. Charlie Graves (RCM) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) def. Lewis Young (RCM) 6-2, 6-1
4. Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) def. G. Migliarese (RCM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Chris Migliarese (RCM) vs. Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) no result
6. Corey Eldridge (CATAWBA) def. Matt Osman (RCM) 6-1, 6-2
1. Thomas Mitchell/Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) def. James Lee/Lewis Young (RCM) 8-4
2. Matthew Nicholson/Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) def. Chris Migliarese/G. Migliarese (RCM) 8-3
3. Corey Eldridge/Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) def. Charlie Graves/Ian Webster (RCM) 8-5
|No events scheduled until August 24|
Volleyball vs. UNC Pembroke 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Francis Marion 3 p.m.
Volleyball vs. Converse 11 a.m.
Volleyball vs. Emmanuel 5 p.m.
Soccer (W) vs. SAINT ANSELM 5 p.m.
Soccer (M) vs. BARTON 7:30 p.m.
Volleyball vs. West Texas A&M 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Tampa 7 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.