March 30, 2012
Tennis Sweeps Belmont Abbey
BELMONT, NC -- Catawba College Tennis picked up a couple of wins Friday afternoon as the men downed Belmont Abbey 5-2 and the women won 5-3 at Sacred Heart Courts. The Lady Indians improve to 9-13 overall and the men up their record to 15-8.
Steffi Cook ( Alpharetta, GA/Milton HS ), Ally Prior (Raleigh, NC/Wakefield HS) and Maggie McKee (Mt Airy, NC/Mt. Airy HS) all won in singles play for Catawba.
The #2 doubles team of Prior and Cook won 8-3 while Olivia Myers (Lexington, NC/W. Davidson HS) and Candace Hall ( Denver, NC/E. Lincoln HS) won 8-4 at #3.
Thomas Mitchell (Nanaimo, BC, CANADA/Pendleton School), Jess Goodall (Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA/Northcliff HS) and Uri Yarkoni ( Kelowna, BC, CANADA/Okanagan HS) were victorious in singles action with Mitchell winning his in three sets.
Yarkoni and Mitchell eked out a 9-7 win at #1 doubles and Alex MacDonald ( Lowen Hutt, NEW ZEALAND/Hutt International HS) and Goodall triumphed at #2 8-1.
The last matches were called due to inclement weather in the area.
Catawba travels to Brevard on Monday, April 2 for its last SAC match at 2 p.m.
1. Kristie Jenkins (BA) def. Sloan Kessler (CATAWBA) 6-0, 6-0
2. Ally Prior (CATAWBA) def. Katie Miller (BA) 7-5, 6-3
3. Maggie McKee (CATAWBA) def. Brooke Ingram (BA) 6-0, 7-6
4. Shannon Ramsay (BA) def. Candace Hall (CATAWBA) 6-2, 2-6, 10-4
5. Steffi Cook (CATAWBA) def. Paige French (BA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Bridget Franer (BA) vs. Olivia Myers (CATAWBA) unfinished
1. Kristie Jenkins/Katie Miller (BA) def. Sloan Kessler/Maggie McKee (CATAWBA) 8-2
2. Ally Prior/Steffi Cook (CATAWBA) def. Paige French/Shannon Ramsay (BA) 8-3
3. Candace Hall/Olivia Myers (CATAWBA) def. Brooke Ingram/Molly Gwaltney (BA) 8-4
|No events scheduled until August 24|
Volleyball vs. UNC Pembroke 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Francis Marion 3 p.m.
Volleyball vs. Converse 11 a.m.
Volleyball vs. Emmanuel 5 p.m.
Soccer (W) vs. SAINT ANSELM 5 p.m.
Soccer (M) vs. BARTON 7:30 p.m.
Volleyball vs. West Texas A&M 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Tampa 7 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.