March 30, 2012
Tennis Sweeps Belmont Abbey
BELMONT, NC -- Catawba College Tennis picked up a couple of wins Friday afternoon as the men downed Belmont Abbey 5-2 and the women at won 5-3 at Sacred Heart Courts. The Lady Indians improve to 9-13 overall and the men up their record to 15-8.
Steffi Cook (Alpharetta, GA/Milton HS), Ally Prior (Raleigh, NC/Wakefield HS) and Maggie McKee (Mt Airy, NC/Mt. Airy HS) all won in singles play for Catawba.
The #2 doubles team of Prior and Cook won 8-3 while Olivia Myers (Lexington, NC/W. Davidson HS) and Candace Hall (Denver, NC/E. Lincoln HS) won 8-4 at #3.
Thomas Mitchell (Nanaimo, BC, CANADA/Pendleton School), Jess Goodall (Johannesburg, SOUTH AFRICA/Northcliff HS) and Uri Yarkoni (Kelowna, BC, CANADA/Okanagan HS) were victorious in singles action with Mitchell winning his in three sets.
Yarkoni and Mitchell eked out a 9-7 win at #1 doubles and Alex MacDonald (Lowen Hutt, NEW ZEALAND/Hutt International HS) and Goodall triumphed at #2 8-1.
The last matches were called due to inclement weather in the area.
Catawba travels to Brevard on Monday, April 2 for its last SAC match at 2 p.m.
1. Conner McMann (BA) def. Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) 6-2, 6-7, 12-10
2. Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) def. Alex Gradenwitz (BA) 6-4, 6-3, 10-3
3. Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) def. Gabriel Tromgini (BA) 6-1, 6-4
4. Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) def. Patrick Noelke (BA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tim Tanko (BA) vs. Kevin Budrawich (CATAWBA) unfinished
6. Idris Moya (BA) vs. Alex Kalmbach (CATAWBA) unfinished
1. Uri Yarkoni/Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) def. Conner McMann/Alex Gradenwitz (BA) 9-7
2. Jess Goodall/Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) def. Patrick Noelke/Tim Tanko (BA) 8-1
3. Idris Moya/Gabriel Tromgini (BA) def. Kevin Budrawich/Alex Kalmbach (CATAWBA) 8-6
|No events scheduled until August 24|
Volleyball vs. UNC Pembroke 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Francis Marion 3 p.m.
Volleyball vs. Converse 11 a.m.
Volleyball vs. Emmanuel 5 p.m.
Soccer (W) vs. SAINT ANSELM 5 p.m.
Soccer (M) vs. BARTON 7:30 p.m.
Volleyball vs. West Texas A&M 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Tampa 7 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.