April 19, 2012
LMU Ends Men's Tennis Season in SAC Tourney
ROCK HILL, SC – The Catawba men’s tennis team closed a successful season with a 5-0 loss to Lincoln Memorial University in the first round of the South Atlantic Conference Tournament Thursday afternoon at the Rock Hill Tennis Complex. The Indians finish their campaign at 17-9.
LMU jumped out to a 3-0 lead after doubles. Uri Yarkoni (Kelowna, BC, CANADA/Okanagan HS) and Thomas Mitchell (Nanaimo, BC, CANADA/Pendleton School) came close to a Catawba victory at #1 falling 9-8 to Philipp Hoffmann and Tom Goossens. At #2 doubles Alex MacDonald (Lowen Hutt, NEW ZEALAND/Hutt International HS) and Matthew Nicholson (Chawara, ZIMBABWE/Lomabundi HS) also lost a tight match 9-8 to the Railsplitter’s Marcelo Alvim and Will Sparks.
In singles action MacDonald dropped a 6-1, 6-1 decision to Hoffman and Yarkoni was downed 6-0, 7-6 by LMU’s Alexey Minevskiy in the only matches that were completed after the Railsplitters had clinched the victory.
1. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Alex Macdonald (CATAWBA) 6-1, 6-1
2. Will Sparks (LMU) vs. Thomas Mitchell (CATAWBA) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
3. Marcelo Alvim (LMU) vs. Jess Goodall (CATAWBA) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) vs. Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
5. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) 6-0, 7-6
6. Michael Koenen (LMU) vs. Kevin Budrawich (CATAWBA) 2-3, unfinished
1. Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Thomas Mitchell/Uri Yarkoni (CATAWBA) 9-8
2. Marcelo Alvim/Will Sparks (LMU) def. Alex Macdonald/Matthew Nicholson (CATAWBA) 9-8
3. Michael Koenen/Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) def. Jess Goodall/Corey Eldridge (CATAWBA) 8-1
Baseball vs. Carson-Newman (SAC Tournament) 4-2
Softball vs. Lenoir-Rhyne (SAC Tournament) 1-3
Softball vs. Lenoir-Rhyne (SAC Tournament - Championship) 2-1
Baseball vs. Tusculum (SAC Tournament) 5-6
Softball vs. Georgia College (NCAA II Regional) 4-3
Softball North Georgia @ NCAA II Regional noon
Softball @ NCAA II Regional
Baseball @ USC Aiken 4 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.