April 6, 2013
Tennis Teams Cruise Past Brevard
SALISBURY, NC -- The Catawba tennis teams claimed victories Saturday afternoon over South Atlantic Conference opponent Brevard at the Johnson Tennis Center. Both Catawba teams won by scores of 6-3. Catawba’s men are now 12-10 overall and 3-5 in the SAC, while the women are 14-8 and 4-4. The Brevard men are now 2-14 on the season and 0-6 in conference play while the women fall to 3-11 and 1-5 in the conference.
Both Catawba teams jumped out to a 2-0 lead as Brevard surrendered one doubles match and one singles match due to lack of players to fill the spots.
In men’s action each team claimed a point in remain two doubles game. Catawba would also tally three of the five played singles matches. Indians’ Mitchell McDonald (Wellington, NEW ZEALAND/Paraparaumu College) fell at the #4 spot to George Finch but not before forcing a 14-12 third set tiebreaker game.
The women’s followed the same suit as the men in doubles action as both teams split the two played doubles matches. In singles play, Brevard claimed points at the #1 and #2 seeds but Catawba would take the remaining matches. Claire Dillman and Michelle Prata each won in singles for the Tornados and the duo paired up in doubles to win all of Brevard’s points.
The Catawba teams return to action on Sunday as they travel to Mars Hill to make up matches that were postponed previousl, beginning at 1 p.m.
MEN’S MATCH RESULTS
CATAWBA 6, BREVARD 3
1. Johannes Kloster (B) d. Alex Macdonald 6-1, 6-3
2. Jess Goodall (C) d. David Taggart 6-2, 6-0
3. Matthew Nicholson (C) d. Stephano Giovanolli 6-4, 6-3
4. George Finch (B) d. Mitchell McDonald 6-1, 2-6, 14-12
5. Jack Mordey (C) d. Richie Liell 6-1, 6-0
6. Aaron Vanhorenbeck (C) won by forfeit
1. Kloster/Taggart (B) d. Macdonald/Nicholson 8-4
2. McDonald/Mordey (C) d. Giovanilli/Finch 8-4
3. Goodall/Vanhorenbeck (C) won by forfeit
RECORDS: Catawba 12-3, 3-5 SAC; Brevard 2-14, 0-6 SAC
WOMEN’S MATCH RESULTS
CATAWBA 6, BREVARD 3
1. Claire Dillman (B) d. Liz Renteria 6-1, 6-0
2. Michelle Prata (B) d. Sloan Kessler 6-3, 6-1
3. Lauren Sledd (C) d. Katie Ouellette 6-4, 6-1
4. Olivia Myers (C) d. Elise Labus 6-1, 6-0
5. Andrea Bell (C) d. Nirvana Silva 6-2, 6-3
6. Rachel Rudisill (C) won by forfeit
1. Dillman/Prata (B) d. Renteria/Kessler 8-3
2. Sledd/Prior (C) d. Ouellette/Labus 9-8 (7-3)
3. Bell/Rudisill (C) won by forfeit
RECORDS: Catawba 14-8, 4-4 SAC; Brevard 3-11, 1-5 SAC
|No events scheduled until August 24|