October 5, 2013
Indians Close Conference Challenge With 5-0 Loss to Barton, Fourth Straight
WILSON, NC -- Injuries have plagued the Catawba College tennis teams as they fall to Barton on Saturday afternoon in the Conference Carolina vs. South Atlantic Conference Challenge. Barton College hosted the two day tournament that concluded on Saturday. Both Catawba teams were swept 5-0 by the Bulldogs. The Indians completed the Challenge being swept in all three matches for both teams. Catawba men fall to 1-5 on the season. The Lady Indians are now 2-4 overall. Barton's men team are now 3-0 this season while the women are now 2-1.
The Catawba men were forced to play without their traditional #2 singles player, Matthew Nicholson to face Barton on Saturday. As the Indian players moved up to fill the gap left by Nicholson, Freshman Brad Smethurst filled the #6 singles position.
In doubles play, Catawba was swept by the Bulldogs but not without competition. The duo of Pierce Hoover and Michael Patch for Catawba tested Barton's Rafael Ruiz and Jake McCartney before falling 9-8. In singles Hoover would lose again to Ruiz by scores of 6-4 and 6-2. Smethurst dropped the final Catawba point to Nick Genest by falling in two 6-1 sets.
The Lady Indians finished the tournament without three of their top six fall players on Saturday. Catawba played the two day challenge without Liz Renteria, their tradional number one singles player. Olivia Myers also did not travel to the challenge due to commitments with the Catawba cross country team. Maddy Henderson was also unable to finish the Limestone match on Friday and was unable to play on Saturday.
With half of the Lady Indians unable to play, Catawba was not much of a match for Barton. Two of Barton’s five points came from defaults as Catawba was unable to fill the sixth position. Barton took the remaining doubles matches by scores of 8-4 and 8-2. In singles play, Barton claimed the victory when Caroline Fischer defeated Catawba’s Caroline Cozart at the fifth flight.
Catawba returns to action on October 10th as they travel to take on South Atlantic Conference rival Lenoir-Rhyne. Match time is set for 2:00 pm.
MEN’S MATCH RESULTS
BARTON 5, CATAWBA 0
1. Rafael Ruiz (B) d. Pierce Hoover 6-4, 6-2
2. Jake Mccartney (B) vs. Jack Mordey 7-6, 2-1, unfinished
3. Max Leppert (B) vs. Michael Patch 7-5, 2-0, unfinished
4. Jorge Pradilla (B) vs. Iago Montero Nunez 3-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. Daniel Radu (B) vs. Aaron Vanhorenbeck 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
6. Nick Genest (B) d. Brad Smethurst 6-1, 6-1
1. Ruiz/McCartney (B) d. Hoover/Patch 9-8
2. Leppert/Pradilla (B) d. Mordey/Nunez 8-4
3. Radu/Genest (B) d. Vanhorenbeck/Smethurst 8-4
RECORDS: BARTON 3-0, CATAWBA 1-5
WOMEN’S MATCH RESULTS
BARTON 5, CATAWBA 0
1. Smiljana Kljajic (B) vs. Sloan Kessler 6-1, 2-0, unfinished
2. Randi Price (B) vs. Lauren Sledd 6-4, unfinished
3. Alicia Lasry (B) vs. Rachel Rudisill 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
4. Meredith Pruden (B) vs. Andrea Bell 6-0, 2-0, unfinished
5. Caroline Fischer (B) d. Caroline Cozart 6-3, 6-0
6. Dana Kelly (B) d. No Player, default
1. Kljajic/Lasry (B) d. Kessler/Sledd 8-4
2. Price/Pruden (B) d. Rudisill/Bell 8-2
3. Fischer/Kristy Lievense (B) d. No Player/No Player, default
RECORDS: BARTON 2-1, CATAWBA 2-4
|No events scheduled until September 2|