February 6, 2014
Catawba Falls 8-1 to UNCP in Spring Opener
PEMBROKE, NC -- The Catawba College women’s tennis team fell 8-1 to host UNC Pembroke on Thursday afternoon at the Varsity Tennis Courts. The match marked the spring opener for the Lady Indians who are coming off a 4-4 season in the fall. UNC Pembroke improves to 1-0 on the season with the win.
Senior Ally Prior grabbed the lone point for Catawba in singles play in the #6 position. Prior fell in the initial set to Pembroke’s Madeline DiNunzio 2-6 before rallying with sets of 6-3 and 10-7.
In doubles action, two of the three matches were tightly contested despite the loss resulting in 8-6 scores. The first came at the #1 doubles position for the duo of Liz Renteria and Sloan Kessler while the second was in the third flight of Rachel Rudisill and Andrea Bell.
Catawba returns to action on Friday to travel to JC Smith for a 3pm start.
WOMEN'S MATCH RESULTS
UNC PEMBROKE 8, CATAWBA 1
1. McAfee, L. (P) d. Liz Renteria 6-2, 1-6, 10-5
2. Bickel, S. (P) d. Sloan Kessler 6-3, 6-0
3. Herlocker, H. (P) d. Lauren Sledd 6-1, 6-2
4. van Ooststroom, G. (P) d. Maddy Henderson 6-4, 6-4
5. Espitia, M. (P) d. Olivia Myers 6-0, 6-4
6. Ally Prior (C) d. DiNunzio, M. 2-6, 6-3, 10-7
1. Bickel, S./Herlocker, H. (P) d. Renteria/Kessler 8-6
2. McAfee, L./van Ooststroom, G. (P) d. Sledd/Prior 8-3
3. Espitia, M./DiNunzio, M. (P) d. Rachel Rudisill/Andrea Bell 8-6
|No events scheduled until August 24|