February 18, 2014
Women Roll Over Belmont Abbey 7-2
CHARLOTTE, NC -- The Catawba College tennis teams each took down Belmont Abbey on Tuesday afternoon at the Reidy Tennis Center. The Catawba men claimed a 6-3 victory while the Lady Indians won by a score of 7-2. With the win the Catawba men improve to 6-3 on the season to match the score of the day’s game. The Catawba women improve to 6-5. For Belmont Abbey, the men fall to 0-4 and the women 0-5 in their respective losses.
For the men’s action Catawba jumped out to a 2-1 lead after doubles play. The Indians dropped point at the #1 seed before picking up wins at the second and third flights.
In singles play, the Crusaders fought back to take the first two points at the number one and two positions. Catawba would respond by sweeping the remaining matches for the 6-3 win.
On the women’s side, Catawba swept doubles action for a quick 3-0 lead. Again, Belmont Abbey took the first two points in singles play to attempt to jumpstart a comeback. The Lady Indians quickly shut down the charge by surrendering just one game over the remaining four flights.
The Lady Indians return to action on Wednesday to take on Pfeiffer at 2pm. The Catawba men will play on Friday as they host Mars Hill at 2pm.
CATAWBA 6, BELMONT ABBEY 3
1. Conner McMann (B) d. Pierce Hoover 6-4, 6-2
2. Juan Baez (B) d. Matthew Nicholson 6-1, 6-1
3. Jack Mordey (C) d. Eduardo Escobar 6-3, 6-2
4. Michael Patch (C) d. Damien Nelson 6-0, 6-2
5. Aaron Vanhorenbeck (C) d. Jacob Melton 6-1, 6-0
6. Iago Montero Nunez (C) d. No player, by forfeit
1. McMann/Escobar (B) d. Hoover/Patch 8-6
2. Nicholson/Vanhorenbeck (C) d. Baez/Nelson 8-5
3. Mordey/Nunez (C) d. Melton/Idris Moya 8-1
CATAWBA 7, BELMONT ABBEY 2
1. Lydia Schellenberg (B) d. Liz Renteria 6-4, 6-2
2. Katharine Miller (B) d. Sloan Kessler 6-2, 6-3
3. Lauren Sledd (C) d. Brooke Ingram 6-0, 6-1
4. Maddy Henderson (C) d. Bridget Franer 6-0, 6-0
5. Olivia Myers (C) d. Brigid Donohue 6-0, 6-0
6. Ally Prior (C) d. Elizabeth Leonards 6-0, 6-0