March 20, 2014
Kronenfeld Earns NCBWA Regional Player of the Week Honors
DALLAS, TX -- Catawba’s Paul Kronenfeld (Greensboro, NC/Woodberry Forest HS/Georgia Tech) has added to his honors this week as he was tabbed as the Southeast Region Player of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer's Association (NCBWA). He was earlier named SAC Player of the Week.
Kronenfeld batted .733 last week, including three hits in each game of Catawba’s series sweep of Anderson. The senior finished with 11 hits in 15 at-bats overall, and added three walks for a .778 on-base percentage.
After opening the week with two doubles and two runs in a 10-9 Catawba win over Mount Olive on Tuesday, Kronenfeld combined to go 9-for-11 at the plate with a home run, a triple, six runs and five RBI in the Anderson series. He finished the week with a 1.200 slugging percentage.
Kronenfeld currently ranks third in the SAC with a .379 batting average.
NCBWA National & Region Players of the Week
National Player of the Week: Seth Tressler (Mansfield)
Tressler led Mansfield to a perfect 4-0 week while batting .632 over the four-game span. He had at least two hits, a run, and an RBI in all four games, including a 4-5 effort at the dish with four RBIs and two runs against Hillsdale where he had a home run and a double. Tressler was 3-4 with three RBIs in wins against Ohio Valley and Hillsdale during the week as well. His bat has led Mansfield to a 9-2 overall record this season and eight straight wins and he is hitting .409 on the season in 39 at bats.
National Pitcher of the Week: Joe Axelson (SW Minnesota State)
Junior right-handed pitcher Joe Axelson tossed the eighth no-hitter in program history on March 12 in a 5-0 non-conference victory over Bemidji State in Tucson, Ariz. He struck out seven BSU batters and walked two in facing just two batters over the minimum during the seven-inning game. He is the first Mustang to throw a no-hitter since 2005. Axelson also picked up a save earlier in the week, securing SMSU's 4-3 win over Northern State on March 10. He allowed one hit and struck out two NSU batters in the seventh inning to earn his first career save.
NCBWA Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Seth Tressler, Mansfield (Hitter); Marcus Shippey, Shippensburg (Pitcher)
- Central: Eric Loxtercamp, St. Cloud State (Hitter); Joe Axelson, SW Minnesota State (Pitcher)
- East: Chris DeMorais, New Haven (Hitter); Dominic Raia III, Chestnut Hill (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Jarod Hahn, Truman State (Hitter); Brian Bayliss, Jr., St. Joseph's (Pitcher)
- South: Kyle Conkle, North Alabama (Hitter); Clay Chapman, Florida Southern (Pitcher)
- South Central: Austin Kaiser, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Scott Cone, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Paul Kronenfeld, Catawba (Hitter); Ben Currie, Wingate (Pitcher)
- West: Skippy Ferreria, Cal. St.-Stanislaus (Hitter); Chance Abrath, Dixie State (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.