April 30, 2014
Brooks Named NCBWA Southeast Region Pitcher of the Week
DALLAS, TX – Catawba junior Craig Brooks (Monroe, NC/Parkwood HS) has been named the Southeast Region Pitcher of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. It covers the week ending on April 27.
Brooks won two starts at the South Atlantic Conference Tournament, helping the Catawba Indians to the title. He tossed six scoreless innings in each game and allowed a total of eight hits. Brooks walked four and struck out 15. With the two wins, he now leads NCAA II with a dozen on the season.
Colorado Mesa senior first baseman Jordan Liester is the National Hitter of the Week while Cal State Monterey Bay senior righty Josh Eagle is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Liester batted .625 (10-for-16) in the Mavericks four-game series with Regis. He had 10 RBI, scored 10 runs and had a double, a triple and three home runs in the series. He had a slugging percentage of 1.375 and an on-base percentage of .700 (2.075 OPS) over the four-game stretch.
Eagle tossed Cal State Monterey Bay's first-ever no-hitter en route to a 4-0 series final win over Cal State San Bernardino and the team's first series sweep this season. In seven innings of work, the senior from Antioch, Calif., only allowed two walks, while striking out four Coyote batters.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Dan Popio, Mercyhurst (Hitter); Paul Hvozdovic, Shepherd (Pitcher)
- Central: Cody Robinson, Northeastern State (Hitter); Randy Vallejo, Arkansas Tech (Pitcher)
- East: Matt Walsh, Franklin Pierce (Hitter); Rocco Cundari, Southern Connecticut (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Kenny May, Quincy (Hitter); D.J. Reetz, Saginaw Valley State (Pitcher)
- South: Keith Curcio, Florida Southern (Hitter); Jamie Sexton, West Georgia (Pitcher)
- South Central: Jordan Liester, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Rene Solis, St. Mary’s (Texas) (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Jake Sandlin, Georgia College (Hitter); Craig Brooks, Catawba (Pitcher)
- West: Eric Tinnell, Central Washington (Hitter); Josh Eagle, Cal State Monterey Bay (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
|No events scheduled until September 3|