September 5, 2014
Boles and Jordan-Steele Lead Cross Country Teams at Catawba Invitational
SALISBURY, NC -- Erica Boles and Matthew Jordan-Steele led the way for the Catawba men’s and women’s cross country teams in the 2014 Catawba Invitational held Friday evening at the Salisbury Community Park. Mars Hill University took the top team honors in both races. Mars Hill’s men finished with 17 points while the women claimed their victory with a team score of 29. The Catawba men finished in third place while the Lady Indians did not participate enough runners to place as a team.
In the women’s division, Mars Hill’s Jessica Viscusi led all runners with a time of 19:47. Brevard’s Hannah Cook was the next to cross at 20:24. Seventy-three women participated in this years event.
Boles finished in tenth position for the Lady Indians in a time of 21:51. Junior Deanna Hedgepeth was the next Catawba runner to finish. Hedgepeth clocked in a time of 22:07 for a 14th place finish. Newcomer Jenny Lomax debuted with a strong finish in 17th position with a 22:24 time.
Mars Hill’s Derek Gibson, Nathan Jones and Lex Griggs finished first, second and third, respectively with times of 27:40. The trio ran the final stretch side-by-side to the finish line. Mars Hill claimed seven of the top ten spots in the race. A total of 44 men completed the course.
Matthew Jordan-Steele ranked 16th overall to lead the Indians with a time of 30:59. Teammates Nathan Hatley, Korby Chappell and Patrick Karriker were not far behind. Hatley took 19th place with a 31:32 time while Chappell took 21st (32:09) and Karriker finished 22nd (32:22). Jonathon Boles locked in the team’s third place position with a time of 37:35 for 32nd position.
The Indians will return to action on Saturday, September 20th to participate in the Winthrop Invitational. The race is set to begin at 9:30am.
Women’s Team Results
1. Mars Hill - 29
2. Meredith - 78
3. Brevard - 81
4. Winston Salem State - 130
5. Salem - 185
6. Tusculum - 206
7. Chowan - 231
8. Warren Wilson - 239
Women’s Top 10
1. Jessica Viscusi, Mars Hill - 19:47
2. Hannah Cook, Brevard - 20:24
3. Sam Vogt, Tusculum - 20:50
4. Faith Tramell, Mars Hill - 20:56
5. Kaleigh Jackson, Mars Hill - 21:11
6. Allie Gallagher, Meredith - 21:27
7. Danisha Wiggins, Winston Salem State - 21:29
8. Shelby Robinson, Mars Hill - 21:34
9. Micalyne Zimmerman, WSSU - 21:46
10. ERICA BOLES, CATAWBA - 21:51
Men’s Team Results
1. Mars Hill - 17
2. Tusculum - 64
3. CATAWBA - 110
4. Warren Wilson - 115
5. Winston Salem State - 172
6. Chowan - 184
Men’s Top 10
1. Derek Gibson, Mars Hill - 27:40
2. Nathan Jones, Mars Hill - 27:40
3. Lex Griggs, Mars Hill - 27:40
4. David Cooper, Tusculum - 28:14
5. Cesar Reyes, Mars Hill - 28:48
6. Gil Gilreath, Mars Hill - 28:48
7. Hasaan Kiprono, Brevard - 29:04
8. Garrett Farrimond, Mars Hill - 29:25
9. Chase Shermer, Mars Hill - 29:48
10. Logan Crevalt, Warren Wilson - 29:52
|No events scheduled until August 24|