February 12, 2015
Indians Force 5 Third Set Tiebreakers in 6-3 Loss to Pfeiffer
MISENHEIMER, N.C. -- The Catawba College men's tennis team fell 6-3 to Pfeiffer University Wednesday afternoon at the Knapp Tennis Center. With the loss Catawba falls to 4-2 on the year while Pfeiffer remains undefeated at 5-0.
In doubles action, Catawba's Pierce Hoover and Jack Mordey played tough at the #1 seed despite falling 9-8. The duo of Mitchell McDonald and Lucas Miller fell 8-0 at the #2 position while Iago Montero Nunez and Michael Patch claimed an 8-6 win at the third flight.
In singles play the Indians played in five third set tiebreakers. Hoover claimed a win at the top flight with scores of 4-6, 6-4, and 10-8. Patch would also win a third set tiebreaker for the final Catawba point at the #4 seed. Mordey, Miller and McDonald each fell in close tiebreakers.
Catawba hopes to rebound on Saturday as the Indians open up South Atlantic Conference play on Saturday agains Anderson University. The 1:00 p.m. match will be played at Anderson's AU Tennis Courts.
Tennis Match Results
Catawba vs Pfeiffer University
Feb 12, 2015 at Misenheimer, NC
Pfeiffer University 6, Catawba 3
1. Pierce Hoover (C) d. Oscar Van Koch 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. Axel Woerner (P) d. Jack Mordey 4-6, 6-2, 10-8
3. Bjorn Barwinski (P) d. Lucas Miller 7-6, 5-7, 10-8
4. Michael Patch (C) d. Anthony Brennan 4-6, 7-6, 10-8
5. David Weir (P) d. Mitchell McDonald 7-5, 2-6, 10-5
6. Sebastian Wernecke (P) d. Iago Montero Nunez 6-3, 6-1
1. Van Koch/Woerner (P) d. Hoover/Mordey, 9-8
2. Barwinski/Wernecke (P) d. Miller/McDonald, 8-0
3. Patch/Montero Nunez (C) d. Brennan/Weir, 8-6
Pfeiffer University 5-0
|No events scheduled until August 24|