March 10, 2015
Charleston (WV) Pulls Out 6-3 Win Over Lady Indians
TAMPA, Fla. -- The Catawba College Lady Indians suffered a 6-3 defeat to the University of Charleston (WV) Tuesday morning in women's tennis action on the campus of the University of South Florida. With the loss Catawba falls to 5-6 on the season while the Golden Eagles soar to 11-4 on the year.
In doubles action Catawba grabbed an early point at the top flight. The duo of Liz Renteria and Kristen Rocko combined to defeat Charleston's Toni Katipa and Kelsey Hensley by a score of 9-8. The Indians fought hard in the remaining two doubles matches but fell by scores of 8-4 and 8-5.
Renteria earned the Lady Indians a second point in singles action with a with at the #1 spot. Renteria fell in the first set 3-6 to Katipa but rebounded with a 6-1 second set and a 10-6 tiebreaker. Senior Sloan Kessler tallied Catawba's final point of the day with 6-3 and 6-2 sets over Marieve Edwards at the #5 spot. Despite suffering a loss Rocko was able to force a third set tiebreaker. Rocko dropped the first set 6-2 but responded with a 6-1 win of her own. In the third set tiebreaker Rocko fell 10-6.
The Lady Indians will hope to rebound on Wednesday as they continue their trip against West Chester University at 9:00 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Universtiy of Charleston vs Catawba
Mar 10, 2015 at Tampa, FL
Universtiy of Charleston 6, Catawba 3
1. Liz Renteria (CATW) def. Toni Katipa (UC) 3-6, 6-1, 10-6
2. Kelsey Hensley (UC) def. Kristen Rocko (CATW) 6-2, 1-6, 10-6
3. Ana Maria Pena (UC) def. Maddy Henderson (CATW) 6-2, 7-5
4. Sloan Kessler (CATW) def. Marieve Edwards (UC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jackie Backos (UC) def. Lauren Sledd (CATW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Taylor Todd (UC) def. Rachel Rudisill (CATW) 6-1, 6-1
1. Liz Renteria/Kristen Rocko (CATW) def. Toni Katipa/Kelsey Hensley (UC) 9-8
2. Marieve Edwards/Jackie Backos (UC) def. Maddy Henderson/Lauren Sledd (CATW) 8-4
3. Ana Maria Pena/Taylor Todd (UC) def. Sloan Kessler/Rachel Rudisill (CATW) 8-5
Universtiy of Charleston 11-4
|No events scheduled until August 24|