April 8, 2015
Albertson Takes Second NCBWA National Hitter Of Week Honor
DALLAS (NCBWA) – For the second time in four weeks, Catawba junior catcher/outfielder Will Albertson has been named the National Hitter of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. The NCBWA released its eighth weekly NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards of the 2015 season for the week ending on April 5 on Wednesday. Dixie State senior righty John Conquy is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Will Albertson (Sophia, N.C.) Will Albertson batted .524 with 11 hits, 16 RBI, six home runs and three doubles to lead the Catawba Indians to a 3-2 record last week. He posted a pair of multiple home run games and highlighted his week with four hits, a double, eight RBI and a pair of long balls in a 19-1 win over Winston-Salem State on April 1. He posted a hit in every game he played, including three multiple hit contests. Albertson notched nine extra-base hits to finish the five-game span with a slugging percentage of 1.524.
John Conquy (Las Vegas) John Conquy pitched his way into the record books, throwing the first Division II no-hitter in Dixie State history against Fresno Pacific. Conquy struck out four and walked just two in seven innings for his fourth consecutive win. It was the first Dixie State no-hitter since 2005.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Nick Sell, Seton Hill (Hitter); Gabe Mosser, Shippensburg (Pitcher)
- Central: Jacob Greco, Upper Iowa (Hitter); Bo Hellquist, Minnesota Duluth (Pitcher)
- East: Chris Starcun, American International (Hitter); Anthony Alicki, University of Bridgeport (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Hunter Newman, Trevecca Nazarene (Hitter); Matt Pobereyko, Kentucky Wesleyan (Pitcher)
- South: Ethan Gill, Delta State (Hitter); Jorge Cruz, University of West Alabama (Pitcher)
- South Central: Zach Moldenhauer, Adams State (Hitter); Tyler Gibson, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Carson Bryant, Carson-Newman (Pitcher)
- West: Ryan Garcia, Point Loma (Hitter); John Conquy, Dixie State (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2014 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 18: Jake Kennedy, Shippensburg (Hitter); Aaron Cox, Gannon (Pitcher)
- Feb. 25: Luke Reinschmidt, MSU-Billings (Hitter); Steve Naemark, Angelo State (Pitcher)
- March 4: Benjamin Gamba, Holy Names (Hitter); Kyle Boraski, Lander (Pitcher)
- March 11: Jordan Brower, Azusa Pacific (Hitter); Mike Lundin, Franklin Pierce (Pitcher)
- March 18: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Landon Simpson, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
- March 25: Chris Miller, Seton Hill (Hitter); Ryan Luna, Sonoma State (Pitcher)
- April 1: Austin Willingford, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Sean Goosetree, Missouri Southern (Pitcher)
- April 8: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); John Conquy, Dixie State (Pitcher)
|No events are scheduled today|
Basketball (W) @ Lenoir-Rhyne 76-70
Basketball (M) @ Lenoir-Rhyne 63-85
Swimming MEN vs. ASHLAND 84-117
Swimming WOMEN vs. ASHLAND 102-95
Swimming Women @ Limestone 103-142
Swimming Men @ Limestone 104-136
Basketball (W) @ Carson-Newman 60-88
Basketball (M) @ Carson-Newman 75-101
Basketball (W) vs. COKER 55-52
Basketball (M) vs. COKER 77-71
Swimming WOMEN vs. BARTON 141-90
Swimming MEN vs. BARTON 131-89
Basketball (W) vs. MARS HILL 80-56
Basketball (M) vs. MARS HILL 83-68
Basketball (W) vs. NEWBERRY 65-73
Basketball (M) vs. NEWBERRY 87-92
Track/Field @ Wake Forest Invitational (Day 1)
Swimming Men @ Lenoir-Rhyne 86-173
Swimming Women @ Lenoir-Rhyne 151-107
Basketball (W) vs. LINCOLN MEMORIAL 65-47
Basketball (M) vs. LINCOLN MEMORIAL 61-90
Track/Field @ Wake Forest Invitational (Day 2)
Basketball (W) vs. QUEENS 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) vs. QUEENS 8 p.m.
Track/Field @ Finn Pincus Invitational (Day 1)
Track/Field @ Finn Pincus Invitational (Day 2)
Basketball (W) @ Tusuclum 2 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Tusculum 4 p.m.
Basketball (W) @ Wingate 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Wingate 8 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.