April 8, 2015
Albertson Takes Second NCBWA National Hitter Of Week Honor
DALLAS (NCBWA) – For the second time in four weeks, Catawba junior catcher/outfielder Will Albertson has been named the National Hitter of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. The NCBWA released its eighth weekly NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards of the 2015 season for the week ending on April 5 on Wednesday. Dixie State senior righty John Conquy is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Will Albertson (Sophia, N.C.) Will Albertson batted .524 with 11 hits, 16 RBI, six home runs and three doubles to lead the Catawba Indians to a 3-2 record last week. He posted a pair of multiple home run games and highlighted his week with four hits, a double, eight RBI and a pair of long balls in a 19-1 win over Winston-Salem State on April 1. He posted a hit in every game he played, including three multiple hit contests. Albertson notched nine extra-base hits to finish the five-game span with a slugging percentage of 1.524.
John Conquy (Las Vegas) John Conquy pitched his way into the record books, throwing the first Division II no-hitter in Dixie State history against Fresno Pacific. Conquy struck out four and walked just two in seven innings for his fourth consecutive win. It was the first Dixie State no-hitter since 2005.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Nick Sell, Seton Hill (Hitter); Gabe Mosser, Shippensburg (Pitcher)
- Central: Jacob Greco, Upper Iowa (Hitter); Bo Hellquist, Minnesota Duluth (Pitcher)
- East: Chris Starcun, American International (Hitter); Anthony Alicki, University of Bridgeport (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Hunter Newman, Trevecca Nazarene (Hitter); Matt Pobereyko, Kentucky Wesleyan (Pitcher)
- South: Ethan Gill, Delta State (Hitter); Jorge Cruz, University of West Alabama (Pitcher)
- South Central: Zach Moldenhauer, Adams State (Hitter); Tyler Gibson, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Carson Bryant, Carson-Newman (Pitcher)
- West: Ryan Garcia, Point Loma (Hitter); John Conquy, Dixie State (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2014 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 18: Jake Kennedy, Shippensburg (Hitter); Aaron Cox, Gannon (Pitcher)
- Feb. 25: Luke Reinschmidt, MSU-Billings (Hitter); Steve Naemark, Angelo State (Pitcher)
- March 4: Benjamin Gamba, Holy Names (Hitter); Kyle Boraski, Lander (Pitcher)
- March 11: Jordan Brower, Azusa Pacific (Hitter); Mike Lundin, Franklin Pierce (Pitcher)
- March 18: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Landon Simpson, Southern Arkansas (Pitcher)
- March 25: Chris Miller, Seton Hill (Hitter); Ryan Luna, Sonoma State (Pitcher)
- April 1: Austin Willingford, Colorado Mesa (Hitter); Sean Goosetree, Missouri Southern (Pitcher)
- April 8: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); John Conquy, Dixie State (Pitcher)
|No events are scheduled today|
Basketball (M) @ Southern Wesleyan 92-71
Basketball (W) @ Chowan 48-37
Basketball (W) @ Carson-Newman 77-90
Basketball (M) @ Carson-Newman 81-64
Basketball (W) vs. COKER 70-54
Basketball (M) vs. COKER 106-72
Swimming Women @ Queens 40-165
Swimming Men at Queens 37-166
Basketball (W) vs. LINCOLN MEMORIAL 59-72
Basketball (M) vs. LINCOLN MEMORIAL 96-83
Basketball (W) vs. QUEENS 74-71
Basketball (M) vs. QUEENS 86-87
Swimming Men @ Wingate w/LR
Swimming WOMEN vs. WINGATE/LR
Basketball (W) @ Anderson 60-100
Basketball (M) @ Anderson 80-82
Basketball (W) @ Lenoir-Rhyne 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Lenoir-Rhyne 8 p.m.
Track/Field @ Finn Pincus Inv. (Day 1)
Track/Field @ Finn Pincus Inv. (Day 2)
Basketball (W) @ Tusculum 2 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Tusculum 4 p.m.
Basketball (W) vs. NEWBERRY 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) vs. NEWBERRY 8 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.