May 6, 2015
Blanton Named NCBWA Baseball Region Pitcher of the Week
PEMBROKE, N.C. -- The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association has released its final weekly NCAA Division II Southeast Region Players of the Week awards for the 2015 season ending on May 3. The Pitcher of the Week is Catawba freshman Bryan Blanton, while the Hitter of the Week is Georgia College junior Jake Sandlin.
Bryan Blanton (Catawba/Albemarle, N.C.) Blanton earned a win and a save for Catawba in two appearances against USC Aiken. On Friday, Blanton threw two scoreless frames as Catawba won 3-2 in 12 innings. He fanned five in the outing with a walk and two hits allowed. He earned the final out with the bases loaded. On Saturday, Blanton entered with a runner on and Catawba leading 8-6 with no outs in the ninth. The freshman would retire Aiken's 3-4-5 hitters in order to notch his first save. Blanton threw three innings on the week and did not allow a run with six strikeouts.
Jake Sandlin (Georgia College/Evans, Ga.) Blanton hit three home runs and drove in seven in four games. The junior outfielder hit .500 with a 1.100 slugging percentage, including a .533 average in a three-game series against Georgia Regents. Sandlin hit a home run in all three of those games, including in his 4-for-6 outing in the finale as he drove in three. He had multiple hits in all three games, scored eight runs and stole a base. He drew a pair of walks for a .545 on-base percentage and five of his 10 hits went for extra bases, including a triple and a homer in game one against GRU.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2015 NCBWA Division II Southeast Region Players of the Week
- May 5: Jake Sandlin, Georgia College (Hitter); Bryan Blanton, Catawba (Pitcher)
- Apr. 28: Thomas Spitz, Wingate (Hitter); Matthew Kuhlenberg, Georgia Regents (Pitcher)
- Apr. 21: Collins Cuthrell, UNC Pembroke (Hitter); Mike O’Reilly, Flagler (Pitcher)
- Apr. 14: Collins Cuthrell, UNC Pembroke (Hitter); Mike O’Reilly, Flagler (Pitcher)
- Apr. 7: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Carson Bryant, Carson-Newman (Pitcher)
- Mar. 31: Chaz Pal, USC Aiken (Hitter); Craig Brooks, Catawba (Pitcher)
- Mar. 24: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Tyler Graham, Armstrong State (Pitcher)
- Mar. 17: Will Albertson, Catawba (Hitter); Donald Frew, Young Harris (Pitcher)
- Mar. 10: Blake Houston, Catawba (Hitter); Forrest Koumas, USC Aiken (Pitcher)
- Mar. 3: Cody Sherlin, Armstrong (Hitter); Kyle Boraski, Lander (Pitcher)
- Feb. 24: Bradley Brown, Wingate/Albert Baur, Newberry (Co-Hitters); Danny Brown, Flagler (Pitcher)
- Feb. 17: Dalton Knight, UNC Pembroke (Hitter); Danny Brown, Flagler (Pitcher)
|No events scheduled until September 3|