March 1, 2016
Lady Indians Earn 7-2 Victory Over Lenoir-Rhyne
SALISBURY, N.C. -- The Catawba College tennis teams each claimed victories over Lenoir-Rhyne University in South Atlantic Conference action Tuesday afternoon. The Catawba Lady Indians recorded a 7-2 win to improve to 10-5 on the year while the men improve to 6-8 overall after narrowing out a 5-4 victory. Lenoir-Rhyne's women drop to 5-7 on the season as the men stand at 4-6. All four teams now stand at 1-3 in the South Atlantic Conference.
Catawba's women jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead after sweeping all three doubles. Liz Renteria and Erisa Onchi took #1 doubles with an 8-5 win over Dominique Bruce and Marta Escanero Funes. At the second seed Kristen Rocko and Luaren Sledd won 8-2 while the duo of Maddy Henderson and Rachel Rudisill took the #3 win 8-1.
In singles play, Bruce claimed the first point of the day for the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears, defeating Renteria with a pair of 6-2 scores. Onchi won 6-1, 6-0 over Funes at the #2 position to give Catawba the 4-1 lead. Lenoir-Rhyne's Julia Ponomareva kept the Bears alive after beating Henderson 9-7 at the third seed. Rocko secured the win for Catawba with a third set victory of 7-6, 1-6, 10-4. Sledd took the #5 position with an 8-3 win while Rudisill sealed the match with two 6-0 wins at the final seed.
On the men's side, Catawba claimed a 2-1 lead after three tough doubles matches. The team of Jack Mordey and Mitchell McDonald took the first doubles point for Catawba with a 9-7 win. Michael Patch and Lucca Picca gave the Indians a 2-0 lead with an 8-4 win at the second flight before Lenoir-Rhyne claimed an 8-6 victory at #3 over Lucas Miller and Iago Montero Nunez.
The Bears rallied to take a 3-2 lead after claiming wins at the top two singles matches. Patch and Picca retook the lead for the Indans with a pair of 6-0, 6-1 wins at the third and fourth seeds, respectively. Lenoir-Rhyne's Filip Dobrosavljevic recorded a 7-6, 6-3 win over McDonald to even the match a four apiece. In the final match of the day Nunez defeated Matthew Ledford 7-5, 6-1 to claim the match for Catawba.
The Indians will return to the courts on Thursday as they travel to Carson-Newman for a 2:00 p.m. match.
Catawba 7, Lenoir-Rhyne 2
Mar 01, 2016 at Salisbury,NC
1. Dominique Bruce (LR) def. Liz Renteria (CATW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Erisa Onchi (CATW) def. Marta Escanero Funes (LR) 6-1, 6-0
3. Julia Ponomareva (LR) def. Maddie Henderson (CATW) 9-7
4. Kristen Rocko (CATW) def. Lucy Stofberg (LR) 7-6, 1-6, 10-4
5. Lauren Sledd (CATW) def. Taylor Fredrickson (LR) 8-3
6. Rachel Rudisill (CATW) def. Jessica Rumple (LR) 6-0, 6-0
1. Liz Renteria/Erisa Onchi (CATW) def. Dominique Bruce/Marta Escanero Funes (LR) 8-5
2. Kristen Rocko/Lauren Sledd (CATW) def. Julia Ponomareva/Lucy Stofberg (LR) 8-2
3. Maddie Henderson/Rachel Rudisill (CATW) def. Taylor Fredrickson/Jessica Rumple (LR) 8-1
Catawba 10-5, 1-3 SAC
Lenoir-Rhyne 5-7, 1-3 SAC
Catawba 5, Lenoir-Rhyne 4
Mar 01, 2016 at Salisbury,NC
1. Patrick Bauer (LRM) def. Jack Mordey (CATM) 6-0, 7-6
2. Tomas Hons (LRM) def. Lucas Miller (CATM) 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
3. Michael Patch (CATM) def. Shane O'Dea (LRM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Lucca Picca (CATM) def. Alex Cresposanchez (LRM) 6-0, 6-1
5. Filip Dobrosavljevic (LRM) def. Mitchell McDonald (CATM) 7-6, 6-3
6. Iago Montero Nunez (CATM) def. Matthew Ledford (LRM) 7-5, 6-1
1. Jack Mordey/Mitchell McDonald (CATM) def. Patrick Bauer/Shane O'Dea (LRM) 9-7
2. Michael Patch/Lucca Picca (CATM) def. Tomas Hons/Matthew Ledford (LRM) 8-4
3. Alex Cresposanchez/Filip Dobrosavljevic (LRM) def. Lucas Miller/Iago Montero Nunez (CATM) 8-6
Catawba 6-8, 1-3 SAC
Lenoir-Rhyne 4-6, 1-3 SAC
|No events scheduled until August 24|