March 16, 2016
Catawba Men Outlast LMU in 5-4 Victory
SALISBURY, NC -- The Catawba College tennis teams split with Lincoln Memorial University Wednesday afternoon in South Atlantic Conference action at the Johnson Tennis Center. The match was started on February 21 before rain suspended play. The Catawba men led in the rain delay 3-1 when play stopped while the women were split 2-2. The Catawba Indians ended the day claiming a 5-4 victory while the Lincoln Memorial women swept the restart to win 7-2. With the win, the Catawba men improve to 7-9 on the season and 2-4 in the South Atlantic Conference while the women fall to 10-7 overall and 1-5 in the conference. The Railsplitters men fall to 6-8 overall and 4-5 in the SAC as the women improve to 11-4 and 6-3, respectively.
Prior to the delay the Catawba men claimed a 2-1 advantage in doubles play with Catawba's Lucas Miller winning at #2 singles 6-4, 7-6. After the restart, Lincoln Memorial's Moritz Hoerner rallied in the third set to defeat Jack Mordey at the #1 position with socres of 6-4, 6-7, 6-4. A third set defeat for Catawba's #3, Michael Patch, tied the match at a three apiece. Lincoln Memorial continued the rally with another third set victory, this time coming at the #4 positon over Catawba's Lucca Picca. The Indians pulled out the win with back-to-back third set victories. The first point came from Mitchell McDonald who took the fifth seed with scores of 6-2, 0-6, 6-2. Iago Montero Nunez won the final point of the day 7-6, 1-6, 6-3.
In women's action the Lincoln Memorial Railsplitters finished doubles with a 2-1 advantage. Catawba's lone point came at the third flight when the duo of Maddie Henderson and Rachel Rudisill won 8-3.
Lauren Sledd opened up singles play with a pair of 6-3 victories at the #5 position before the match was suspended. As the match resumed the Railsplitted controlled the momentum to sweep the remaining five matches. Despite the eventual loss, Catawba's #4, Kristen Rocko, was able to force a third set. Priscilla Bulandres defeated Rocko 6-3, 0-6, 6-3.
Catawba will look to host West Virginia State on Friday. The match is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
Lincoln Memorial 7, Catawba 2
Mar 16, 2016 at Salisbury,NC
1. Elana Vasilyeva (LMU) def. Liz Renteria (CATW) 6-3, 6-4
2. Marta Pinol (LMU) def. Erisa Onchi (CATW) 6-3, 7-6
3. Javiera Gonzalez (LMU) def. Maddie Henderson (CATW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Priscilla Bulandres (LMU) def. Kristen Rocko (CATW) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
5. Lauren Sledd (CATW) def. Roksolana Prudyvus (LMU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Angelica Solano (LMU) def. Rachel Rudisill (CATW) 6-1, 6-0
1. Elana Vasilyeva/Javiera Gonzalez (LMU) def. Liz Renteria/Erisa Onchi (CATW) 8-5
2. Marta Pinol/Roksolana Prudyvus (LMU) def. Kristen Rocko/Lauren Sledd (CATW) 8-3
3. Maddie Henderson/Rachel Rudisill (CATW) def. Priscilla Bulandres/Rosa Smith (LMU) 8-3
Catawba 10-7, 1-5 SAC
Lincoln Memorial 11-4, 6-3 SAC
Game was suspended due to rain of Feb. 21. Match was tied 2-2.
Catawba 5, Lincoln Memorial 4
Mar 16, 2016 at Salisbury,NC
1. Moritz Hoerner (LMU) def. Jack Mordey (CATM) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
2. Lucas Miller (CATM) def. Joshua Coulthard (LMU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Joshua Peress (LMU) def. Michael Patch (CATM) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
4. Pepe Batalla (LMU) def. Lucca Picca (CATM) 0-6, 7-5, 7-5
5. Mitchell McDonald (CATM) def. David Segarra (LMU) 6-2, 0-6, 6-2
6. Iago Montero Nunez (CATM) def. Guilherme Rocha (LMU) 7-6, 1-6, 6-3
1. Jack Mordey/Mitchell McDonald (CATM) def. Joshua Coulthard/Joshua Peress (LMU) 8-3
2. Michael Patch/Lucca Picca (CATM) def. Moritz Hoerner/Guilherme Rocha (LMU) 8-5
3. Pepe Batalla/David Segarra (LMU) def. Lucas Miller/Iago Montero Nunez (CATM) 8-4
Catawba 7-9, 2-4 SAC
Lincoln Memorial 6-8, 4-5 SAC
Match was suspended on Feb. 21 due to rain. Catawba led 3-1
|No events scheduled until August 24|
Volleyball vs. UNC Pembroke 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Francis Marion 3 p.m.
Volleyball vs. Converse 11 a.m.
Volleyball vs. Emmanuel 5 p.m.
Soccer (W) vs. SAINT ANSELM 5 p.m.
Soccer (M) vs. BARTON 7:30 p.m.
Volleyball vs. West Texas A&M 11 a.m.
Volleyball @ Tampa 7 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.