March 31, 2016
Bowden Picked as NCWBA National Player of the Week
DALLAS (NCBWA) -- The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March 29. Catawba sophomore first baseman Chance Bowden is the National Hitter of the Week, while West Liberty junior pitcher Greg Stagani is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Bowden (Salisbury, N.C.) posted 13 hits, including nine doubles, and nine RBI to lead the Catawba Indians to a 5-0 record last week, including a series sweep over Mars Hill. He posted multiple hits in every game he played, including four doubles versus the Lions in game one of the doubleheader on March 26. He drove in multiple RBI in three contests and finished the five-game span with a slugging percentage of 1.042. For the week, he batted .542 with an on-base percentage of .556 to go along with nine runs scored.
Stagani (Richmond, Ohio) threw a one-hit shutout (9.0 IP) in 2-0 win versus West Virginia Wesleyan with 14 strikeouts and no walks. He faced 29 batters in the game retiring the first 19 batters he faced as WVW got a single in the top of the seventh.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Alex O’Dell, Kutztown (Hitter); Greg Stagani, West Liberty (Pitcher)
- Central: Alex Wojciechowski, Minn.-Duluth (Hitter); Sheldon Miks, St. Cloud State (Pitcher)
- East: Dwayne Page, Dowling (Hitter); Bobby Kelly, Molloy (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Marquis Collier, Alderson-Broadus (Hitter); Brandon Sittinger, Ashland (Pitcher)
- South: Darian Dull, Kentucky State (Hitter); Dalton Moats, Delta State (Pitcher)
- South Central: Keith Funk, St. Mary’s (Hitter); Cameron Stanton, St. Edward’s (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Chance Bowden, Catawba (Hitter); Brandon Agar, North Georgia (Pitcher)
- West: Preston Scott, Fresno Pacific (Hitter); Isaiah Terrazas, Concordia-Irvine (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2016 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 17: Brett Wilhelm, Lubbock Christian (Hitter); Brooks Trujillo, West Texas A&M (Pitcher)
- Feb. 25: Andrew Vogelbaugh, Pittsburg St. (Hitter); Guillaume Blanchette, Lubbock Christian (Pitcher)
- Mar. 3: Blaise Warrick, Ark.-Fort Smith (Hitter); Ben Criscuolo, Southern NH (Pitcher)
- Mar. 10: Matt Piatt, University of Tampa (Hitter); Mark Delas, Findlay (Pitcher)
- Mar. 17: Troy Sieber, St. Leo University (Hitter); Robbie Gordon, Maryville (Pitcher)
- Mar. 24: Dylan Cook, Georgia College (Hitter); Logan Johnson, Fairmont State (Pitcher)
- Mar. 31: Chance Bowden, Catawba (Hitter); Greg Stagani, West Liberty (Pitcher)
|No events are scheduled today|
Volleyball vs. WINSTON-SALEM ST. 1-3
Swimming @ Emory Invite (Day 1)
Volleyball @ Queens 3-1
Swimming @ Emory Invite (Day 2) W-3rd;M-3rd
Cross Country @ NCAA II Southeast Regional W-12th;M-16th
Football vs. NEWBERRY 17-13
Volleyball @ Wingate 0-3
Volleyball vs. COKER 3-0
Basketball (M) vs. Francis Marion 70-72
Basketball (W) vs. Mount Olive 94-81
Volleyball @ Newberry 3-0
Football vs. LENOIR-RHYNE 24-20
Basketball (W) vs. Barton 49-58
Basketball (M) @ UNC Pembroke 67-91
Basketball (W) @ Fayetteville St. 46-69
Basketball (M) @ Albany State 77-69
Basketball (M) vs. Montevallo, ccd. noon
Basketball (W) @ Bowie St. 58-66
Basketball (W) vs. CHOWAN 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Winston-Salem St. 7 p.m.
Basketball (W) @ UNC Wilmington (Exhib.) 4 p.m.
Basketball (W) @ Queens 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Queens 8 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.