February 19, 2017
Tennis Teams Roll Past Brevard
SALISBURY, N.C. -- The Catawba men’s and women’s tennis teams claimed South Atlantic Conference wins over visiting Brevard on Sunday afternoon at the Johnson Tennis Center. The Catawba Indian men improved to 6-3 overall and 2-0 in the SAC with an 8-1 victory, while the women took a 9-0 decision to move to 8-1 and 1-1. Brevard’s men fell to 1-6 and 0-3 and the women to 0-5 and 0-3.
Catawba’s women had claimed the match win after doubles as a shorthanded Tornado squad had to default three matches with only four players. Catawba took wins at #1 and #2 doubles to get to five points. The ladies did not drop a game in winning the four singles matches.
The Catawba men led 2-1 after doubles and went on two win the six singles matches all in straight sets. Michael Patch (Great Missenden, England), Luca Picci (Harare, Zimbabwe), Lucas Miller (Wellington, New Zealand) and Adam Rocko (Johns Creek, Ga./Pinecrest Academy) had wins in both singles and doubles for Catawba.
Both teams will host Wingate for league matches on Thursday at 2 pm.
MEN’S MATCH RESULTS
CATAWBA 8, BREVARD 1
1. Michael Patch (C) d. Cre Still 7-5, 6-1
2. Luca Picci (C) d. Tom Mittring 7-6, 6-3
3. Lucas Miller (C) d. JR Davis 6-2, 6-2
4. Ryen Reid (C) d. Tim Hengst 6-1, 6-4
5. Cason Hiers (C) d. Chris Plasa 6-2, 6-1
6. Adam Rocko (C) d. Will Christiansen 6-4, 7-5
1. Patch/Picci (C) d. Mittring/Davis 8-4
2. Still/Christiansen (B) d. Reid/Hiers 8-6
3. Miller/Rocko (C) d. Hengst/Plasa 8-1
RECORDS: Catawba 6-3, 2-0 SAC; Brevard 1-6, 0-3 SAC.
WOMEN’S MATCH RESULTS
CATAWBA 9, BREVARD 0
1. Erisa Onchi (C) d. Kelsey Kushner 8-0
2. Sophie Hirsch (C) d. Sam Miranda 8-0
3. Kristen Rocko (C) d. Katie Hatter 8-0
4. Olivia Wooldridge (C) d. Carmen Boone 8-0
5. Maddy Henderson (C) won by default
6. Emily Corcoran (C) won by default
1. Onchi/Hirsch (C) d. Kushner/Miranda 8-0
2. Rocko/Wooldridge (C) d. Hatter/Boone 8-0
3. Henderson/Marina Geremias (C) won by default
RECORDS: Catawba 8-1, 1-1 SAC; Brevard 0-5, 0-3 SAC
|No events are scheduled today|