February 21, 2018
Men's Tennis Opens Spring Season With Win
SALISBURY, N.C. -- Catawba opened the spring portion of its men’s tennis season with a 6-3 win over visiting Belmont Abbey on Wednesday afternoon at the Johnson Tennis Center. The Catawba Indians even their record at 2-2, while the Crusaders fall to 4-6.
Catawba got out of the gates with wins at the top two doubles spots. Belmont Abbey salvaged a point with a tiebreak win at #3, but the Indians reeled off four singles wins to take the match.
Three of the singles matches went to three sets with Catawba winning two of those. Luca Picci at #1 and Vid Rados at #5 came up with the points. They also won their doubles matches, Picci at #1 with Lucas Miller and Rados at #2 with Ryen Reid. Reid joined Adam Rocko with the other two singles wins for the Indians.
The men will travel with the women to face Mount Olive on Friday at 2 pm.
MEN’S MATCH RESULTS
CATAWBA 6, BELMONT ABBEY 3
1. Luca Picci (C) d. Zachary Blythe 6-3, 0-6, 6-2
2. Carlos Nolasco (BA) d. Lucas Miller 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Ryen Reid (C) d. Jacob Andress 6-0, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Jose Disotuar (BA) d. Samuel Schwarz 6-4, 6-1
5. Vid Rados (C) d. Reinaldo Golindano 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 6-4
6. Adam Rocko (C) d. Joseph Horne 6-3, 6-1
1. Picci/Miller (C) d. Blythe/Henrique Leal 8-3
2. Reid/Rados (C) d. Disotuar/Golindano 8-4
3. Nolasco/Andress (BA) d. Schwarz/Rocko 8-7 (7-4)
RECORDS: Catawba 2-2, Belmont Abbey 4-6.
|No events scheduled until August 24|