March 1, 2018
Bowden Named National Baseball Hitter of the Week
DALLAS, Texas (NCBWA) -- The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its initial 2018 NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on February 26. Catawba senior first baseman Chance Bowden is the National Hitter of the Week, while Lee University senior pitcher Jumpei Akanuma is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Bowden (Salisbury, N.C. / Salisbury HS), had a monster week at the plate for the Catawba Indians, batting .611 with four home runs, a double, a triple and 13 RBI. Thanks to his offensive prowess, Catawba was 4-0 for the week, including a three-game sweep of Coker. In the series with Coker, Bowden batted .833, going 10-for-12 at the plate with a pair of four-hit games. In Saturday’s doubleheader, he was a perfect 8-for-8 with 10 RBI. He also tied a school record with three home runs and had seven RBI in the final game of the series.
Akanuma (Kyoto, Japan / College of the Desert, Calif.) pitched a complete game no-hitter against West Alabama, striking out 11 batters in seven innings of work on his way to being named Gulf South Conference Pitcher of the Week.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Zarley China, East Stroudsburg (Hitter); Perry DellaValle, Seton Hill (Pitcher)
- Central: Bryan Miranda, Soutwestern Oklahoma State (Hitter); Zac Shoemaker, Missouri Southern (Pitcher)
- East: Andre Jackson, Concordia, N.Y. (Hitter); Rob Naughton, Felician (Pitcher)
- Midwest: JT Conti, Wayne State, Mich. (Hitter); Tyler Jandron, Northwood (Pitcher)
- South: Zack Shannon, Delta State (Hitter); Jumpei Akanuma, Lee University (Pitcher)
- South Central: Donnie Perez, St. Mary’s, Texas (Hitter); Ryan Johnson, Lubbock Christian (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Chance Bowden, Catawba (Hitter); Greg Valentine, Carson-Newman (Pitcher)
- West: Alex Eliopulos, UC-San Diego (Hitter); Isaiah Carranza, Azusa Pacific (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2018 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 21: Austin Norman, Fairmont State (Hitter); Dillon Cate, Carson-Newman (Pitcher)
- Feb. 28: Chance Bowden, Catawba (Hitter); Jumpei Akanuma, Lee University (Pitcher)
|No events scheduled until September 5|