March 28, 2018
Women's Tennis Falls to Anderson
SALISBURY, N.C. -- Catawba split men’s and women’s South Atlantic Conference tennis matches with visiting Anderson at the Johnson Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon. Catawba’s men rallied to knock off the 23rd-ranked Trojans 5-4, while the Anderson women claimed a 7-2 victory. The Catawba Indian men improve to 3-8 overall and 1-5 in the SAC with Anderson falling to 11-5 and 5-2. The Trojan women moved to 8-7 and 4-3 with Catawba falling to 3-9 and 0-6.
Adam Rocko battled back from down 4-2 in the third set to secure the winning point for the men at #6 singles. Luca Picci claimed a key win at #1 singles as he rallied from a set down to win, while Ryen Reid took the other singles point. The Indians had won two of three doubles to position themselves for the upset.
Catawba’s women played without top player Erisa Onchi, who injured an ankle on Tuesday against Queens. After losing three doubles matches, the Lady Indians got wins at the top two singles flights. Sophie Hirsch led 4-1 before her opponent defaulted, while Olivia Wooldridge came back from a set down to win a third set super tiebreaker.
The tennis teams are back in action on Friday, traveling to Carson-Newman for 1 pm matches.
MEN’S MATCH RESULTS
CATAWBA 5, ANDERSON 4
1. Luca Picci (C) d. Ignacio Bidegain 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
2. Jeffrey Dayton (A) d. Lucas Miller 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Ryen Reid (C) d. Tomas Depiaggio 6-4, 6-4
4. Preston Morpeth (A) d. Cason Hiers 6-3, 6-3
5. Simon Wilson (A) d. Samuel Schwarz 6-1, 6-1
6. Adam Rocko (C) d. Hufelder Duarte 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
1. Picci/Miller (C) d. Depiaggio/Duarte 8-3
2. Reid/Hiers (C) d. Dayton/Hank Sartain 8-4
3. Bidegain/Morpeth (A) d. Schwarz/Rocko 8-5
RECORDS: Catawba 3-8, 1-5 SAC; Anderson 11-5, 5-2 SAC.
|No events are scheduled today|