October 24, 2018
Catawba Defeat's Belmont Abbey 2-0 in Home Finale
SALISBURY, N.C. - Junior Hunter Faust’s two-goal performance lifts Catawba over Belmont Abbey 2-0 in the final home match of the season Wednesday at Frock Field.
Faust made a run at the far side and broke a 0-0 deadlock at 54:48 mark when he scored on an assist from Ben Bielby, giving the Indians (3-11-0) a one-goal advantage. Bielby drove through the center of the Crusaders’ (6-6-3) defense and worked the ball to the far side. Faust placed the ball across the net mouth and past the keeper.
Joe English and Bielby teamed up to feed Faust on his second goal of the night, which added insurance for the Indians in the 79th minute. After receiving the feed, Faust sidestepped Belmont Abbey’s sliding keeper, Evan Morrow, chipping it over him and into an empty net.
Defensively, Catawba controlled the play from start to finish and net-minder, Gianluca Tommasi felt very little pressure all evening. He faced one shot on net and made the save for his third clean sheet of the season.
Inside the numbers:
- The Indians outshot Belmont Abbey 21-6, holding the Crusaders to three shots in each half.
- Catawba’s 21 shots is a season high, while the six shots matches the fewest allowed in a contest.
- The 12 shots on goal is a team high, while the one by Belmont Abbey is a season low for the Indians’ defense.
- In the three wins this season, the Indians earned three shutouts.
- Catawba earned seven corner kicks, while allowing their opponent to just two.
The Indians go on the road for the season finale. They will take on Carson-Newman Saturday at 7:30 p.m.
|No events scheduled until September 5|