October 29, 2018
Women's Soccer Faces Anderson in SAC Quarters Tuesday
SALISBURY, N.C. - The fifth-seeded Catawba women's soccer team drew Anderson, the No. 4 seed, in the quarterfinals of the 2018 South Atlantic Conference (SAC) Women's Soccer Tournament, which starts Tuesday.
"It’s exciting to make it to this point of the year and still be playing," stated Catawba Head Coach Nick Brown. "At this point we just want to take things one day at a time. We go to Anderson who have had a really goal season this year. They’ve got some talented players and are well coached so this going to be battle. They’re the 4th seed with home field advantage for a reason. Coming off a tough loss at Carson Newman on Saturday, I can’t wait to see how the girls respond. At this point it’s win or go home, I’d like to extend this season into tomorrow."
Catawba (12-4-0, 6-4-0 SAC), ended the season better than the SAC preseason predicted order of finish of sixth. The Catawba Indians face Anderson (7-7-1, 6-3-1 SAC) Tuesday at 5 p.m. at Trojan Stadium.
This is the second time the two squads have met in the post season. The first occurred in the 2012 quarterfinals when Catawba defeated the Trojans 1-0 at Frock Field. It also marks the second meeting in 10 days between the teams this season. Catawba blanked Anderson 3-0 in Salisbury Oct. 20. The all-time series is knotted at 4-4-2.
Sophomore Brooke Freeman opened the scoring when she got her head to Katie Webb’s corner kick in the 31st minute. Freshman Courtney Reavis netted her first career goal at the 67:43 mark and junior Bailey Howell closed out the scoring in the 80th minute.
Top-seed Carson-Newman, the three-time defending SAC Women’s Soccer Tournament and four-time defending regular-season champs, host No. 8 seed Wingate at 5 p.m. in Jefferson City, Tenn. Queens, the No. 7 seed, travels to Harrogate, Tenn., for a match against No. 2 Lincoln Memorial at 2 p.m. No. 3 seed Lenoir-Rhyne takes on Tusculum, the No. 6 seed, at 5 p.m. in Hickory, N.C.
Semifinals are Friday, Nov. 2 at 11 a.m. at Manchester Meadows in Rock Hill, S.C. The winner of Carson-Newman-Wingate takes on the Anderson-Catawba winner. The second semifinal matches the Lincoln Memorial-Queens winner against the Lenoir-Rhyne-Tusculum winner.
The winners of the semifinals play for the SAC Championship Sunday, Nov. 4 at 1 p.m. at Manchester Meadows.
Adult tickets are available at the gate for $5, with $3 tickets for children 12 and under, seniors, active duty and retired military tickets. College students with ID are $2 and children under five are free.
- Catawba is 9-1 on the road this season.
- In his third season, Head Coach Nick Brown led the Indians to the conference tournament every year.
- Senior Shelby Thompson, who started in goal in all 16 contest, posting a 12-4-0 record, allowing 16 goals and making 66 saves.
- Thompson’s 1.02 goals against average is her career best and ranks as the 11th lowest in school history.
- Thompson’s career 1.31 goals against average equals the sixth best all-time at Catawba.
- Thompson’s six shutouts this season is the 10 most, while her 10 career clean sheets ranks seventh.
- Catawba tallied 33 goals, averaging 2.06 goals per game, with 15 different players netting at least one.
- Jovana Sanchez led the offense with six goals, six assists and 16 points.
- Head Coach Sarah Jacobs led the Trojans to the conference tournament in her first season.
- Anderson is 4-3-1 at home, including 3-1-1 in conference play.
- Anderson enters the post season scoring 1.02 goals per game, while the defense allows 1.4.
- Kirsten Armetta leads the Trojans with four goals, six assists and 14 points.
- Abby Helm is the Trojans primary goal keeper, starting 13 of her team’s 15 games, posting a 7-4-1 record, with 5 shutouts. She allowed 12 goals with a goals against average of 0.97, making 54 saves.
2018 SAC Tournament Schedule
Tuesday, Oct. 30 (at Highest Seeds)
Game 1: #1 Carson-Newman vs. #8 Wingate, 5 p.m.
Game 2: #4 Anderson vs. #5 Catawba, 5 p.m.
Game 3: #2 Lincoln Memorial vs. #7 Queens, 2 p.m.
Game 4: #3 Lenoir-Rhyne vs. #6 Tusculum, 5 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 2 (Manchester Meadows, Rock Hill, S.C.)
Game 5: winner game 1 vs. winner game 2, 11 a.m.
Game 6: winner game 3 vs. winner game 4, 1:30 p.m.
Sunday, Nov. 4 (Manchester Meadows, Rock Hill, S.C.)
Game 7: winner game 5 vs. winner game 6, 1 p.m.
Visit gocatawbaindians.com for the latest news and info on Catawba College Athletics.
|No events are scheduled today|
Basketball (M) @ Southern Wesleyan 92-71
Basketball (W) @ Chowan 48-37
Basketball (W) @ Carson-Newman 77-90
Basketball (M) @ Carson-Newman 81-64
Basketball (W) vs. COKER 70-54
Basketball (M) vs. COKER 106-72
Swimming Women @ Queens 40-165
Swimming Men at Queens 37-166
Basketball (W) vs. LINCOLN MEMORIAL 59-72
Basketball (M) vs. LINCOLN MEMORIAL 96-83
Basketball (W) vs. QUEENS 74-71
Basketball (M) vs. QUEENS 86-87
Swimming Men @ Wingate w/LR
Swimming WOMEN vs. WINGATE/LR
Basketball (W) @ Anderson 60-100
Basketball (M) @ Anderson 80-82
Basketball (W) @ Lenoir-Rhyne 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Lenoir-Rhyne 8 p.m.
Track/Field @ Finn Pincus Inv. (Day 1)
Track/Field @ Finn Pincus Inv. (Day 2)
Basketball (W) @ Tusculum 2 p.m.
Basketball (M) @ Tusculum 4 p.m.
Basketball (W) vs. NEWBERRY 6 p.m.
Basketball (M) vs. NEWBERRY 8 p.m.
Mouse over the red calendar dates to display events on those days. Click to open the full-size calendar.